To honor Dr. John Mielke’s retirement from the Appleton Area School District’s Board of Education after 26 years of service, and to recognize Sally Mielke’s many contributions to education and health care, the community has come together to thank the Mielkes by establishing a permanent charitable fund in their names. Gifts still are being accepted for the John & Sally Mielke Early Years Fund for the Fox Valley. More than $341,000 has been collected or pledged to build an endowment to fund projects and initiatives that will benefit children ages birth to five and their families. Of particular interest are initiatives that are preventative or collaborative in nature and benefit the broader community.
How to give
To support this effort and express your thanks to John and Sally for their tireless community service, you may choose any of these option for making a gift:
- Mail or deliver your gift to:
4455 W. Lawrence St.
Appleton, WI 54914
See map. Make checks payable to: CFFVR: Mielke Early Years Fund
What the fund will do
Examples of the activities grants from the fund will support include:
- Educational programs for parents and/or early educators.
- Scholarships for low-income families for high-quality childcare.
- Scholarships for development of early educators, including continuing education.
- Grants/loans to early childhood centers for various program or other needs.
- Projects including a research component for identifying and sharing best practices.
- Support for other child-related projects, e.g. at the Building for Kids Children’s Museum.
- Administrative support for community-wide early childhood leadership.
What They’ve Given
John and Sally have demonstrated their commitment to the earliest years of life. They see education and economic wellness as key factors in quality of life and health.
- John was co-founder of the open heart surgery program at Appleton Medical Center over 45 years ago.
- The Community Early Learning Center was established through John and Sally’s initiative and a lead gift from the Mielke Family Foundation.
- John was co-founder of the Appleton Education Foundation and a founder of the Celebrating Volunteers gala, both 20 years ago.
- John also was co-founder of the Community Health Action Team (CHAT) 16 years ago.
- John fostered a relationship with the Waisman Center at UW-Madison, serving on its board.
- After a career in healthcare, Sally has been a member of the nursing faculty at Fox Valley Technical College for 17 years.
- She served on the boards of Fox Valley Technical College and the FVTC Foundation.
- Sally served for 22 years as an Outagamie County supervisor, including two years as board chair, along with countless other nonprofit boards.
- As partners for life, they seem to be at every function and support every important cause in the community.