Charitable tips to consider
Snow is falling, it’s getting colder, and your mailbox is full of year-end appeals from your favorite charities. As you gear up for another busy holiday season, here are some charitable giving tips to consider:
- We are here for you! Share your stories and passions with us and let us help you find the right fit for your giving.
- We can offer support for you and your charitable wishes by sharing our insights into community needs, recommending articles and books on philanthropy, or offering suggestions on how to discuss giving with your children or grandchildren.
- December 20 is the last day to initiate grant recommendations to ensure the check is issued before year-end, so reach out soon.
- Directly donating appreciated stock has a greater tax benefit than redeeming the security and donating cash. Learn more about the tax benefits of stock gifts by contacting us or visiting www.cffoxvalley.org/stock. We ask that you please contact us in advance to ensure a prompt and accurate transfer of stock gifts.
- If you are age 70½ and older, you can make a gift directly from an IRA to a qualified charity while excluding the amount distributed from income. IRA owners can transfer up to $100,000 per year to one or more charities, including the Community Foundation. Under current law, IRA transfers to donor advised funds don’t qualify, but the Community Foundation offers other types of funds that do qualify, and we will be happy to help. Charitable gifts from an IRA count against your required minimum distribution and reduce your income even if you don’t itemize.
Throughout this giving season and all year long, the staff at your Community Foundation is here to help you accomplish all your charitable goals.
Check out our report to the community! What does a Community Foundation do? Glad you asked! Learn more here.
Leave a Comment