The sale of a cheese factory and the generosity of its late owner will provide $250,000 for construction of New London’s new public library/STEM education center and $100,000 for furniture and fixtures for the Neuschafer Community Library in Fremont.
The two library grants are part of $517,500 awarded to support 10 nonprofit projects serving the people of New London, Fremont and surrounding areas. The Marilynn W. Taylor/Wohlt Cheese Fund within the Community Foundation has also awarded grants to these charitable organizations:
- Fox Cities Chamber Foundation, $2,500 sponsorship of Bazaar After Dark, presented by the Fox Cities Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the New London Chamber of Commerce.
- Fremont-Wolf River EMS Ltd., $20,000 to upgrade a 12-lead monitor and purchase other equipment.
- Greater Fox Cities Habitat for Humanity, $50,000 over three years for Rock the Block New London, a revitalization program.
- Lutheran Social Services’ Make the Ride Happen, $60,000 over three years for this ride service for disabled and elderly residents in Waupaca County.
- Mission of Hope House, Waupaca County’s only 24-7 homeless shelter, located in New London, general support this year of $2,500.
- City of New London, $2,500 for the New London Chamber’s Fall Fest.
- Shepherd of the River Church, $2,500 for Project Backpack New London to provide school supplies to families in need.
- Washington Center Community Cupboard at the St. Joseph Residence, up to $25,000 this year for purchase of a delivery vehicle and $2,500 for operational support.
Marilynn Taylor owned and operated Wohlt Creamery in New London. Upon her death in 2017, her estate made the gift of the operating business to establish a charitable endowment fund at the Community Foundation. The Community Foundation and estate administrators found a buyer interested in purchasing the business and its real estate assets to keep the business that employed 60 people intact in the sale to Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery in August of 2018.
The Marilynn W. Taylor/Wohlt Cheese Fund is a permanent endowment fund that will provide support in the New London and Fremont region in addition to the scholarship support provided for students to attend Lawrence University, Marilynn’s alma mater.