By Ann Engelhard
Vice President Donor Services and Gift Planning
Each December the Community Foundation office is a flurry of activity as donors make grants from their charitable funds to support their favorite charities before year-end. The giving season is an exciting time. During the past two weeks alone, we have mailed 377 grant checks to nonprofit organizations totaling $1.34 million!
Our professional staff has also been helping people make contributions to start new funds with us or add to existing ones to beat the year-end deadline for 2017 tax deductions. We make starting a fund as fast and easy as possible, while remaining focused on what’s most important to you while planning your giving goals for today and long after you’re gone. Read a few of our stories of giving.
As year-end approaches, here are a few giving tips to keep in mind:
- Cash isn’t always king. We also accept other types of gifts that may provide added tax savings, including securities (stocks, bonds, mutual fund shares), business interests, personal property, real estate and life insurance. Ways to Give Now.
- Securities can be particularly tax-effective gifts. If you have owned the securities for at least one year, your gift will not trigger any capital gains tax, regardless of how much the securities may have appreciated in value over time. Visit cffoxvalley.org/stock to learn more and see our stock transfer instructions. Donating stock is easy to do, but we urge you to contact us in advance to ensure its prompt and accurate transfer.
- Give from an IRA. People age 70½ and older can transfer up to $100,000 directly from an IRA to a qualified charity (including the Community Foundation) while excluding the amount distributed from income. These charitable gifts count toward the required minimum distribution. Learn more.
- December 31 falls on a Sunday. Plan ahead for making donations in person and via U.S. Mail. Donations sent in the mail must have a Dec. 30 postmark date to quality for a 2017 tax deduction. Our office will be closed Dec. 25 and 26. On Dec. 29 we’ll be open 8 a.m-4:30 p.m.
- Give online. Complete your last minute donations via credit card before midnight Dec. 31. cffoxvalley.org/donate
Throughout this giving season and into 2018, the staff at your Community Foundation is happy to help you and work with your professional advisors to help you fulfill your giving goals.