The award recipients have been chosen and registration is open for the 21st annual Celebrating Volunteers Community Gala on April 26 to honor outstanding volunteers in our community.
The honorees for the seven awards being presented that evening are:
- Rachel Miserlian – Youth Scholarship Award, sponsored by Community First Credit Union.
- Nancy Heykes – Walter L. Rugland Community Service Award, sponsored by Thrivent Financial.
- Bob DeKoch – Paul and Elaine Groth Mentoring Award, sponsored by Mielke Family Foundation.
- Jim and Sue Spierings – Health Care Volunteer Award, sponsored by Ascension and ThedaCare.
- Cheri Duchrow – Janet Berry Volunteer of the Year, sponsored by The Post-Crescent.
- Renee Ulman – Hanns Kretzschmar Award for Excellence in Arts, sponsored by Thrivent Financial.
- Harbor House Domestic Abuse Programs and McMAHON – Business Partnership Award, sponsored by SECURA Insurance.
Six honorees receive $5,000 to be given to the local charity or charities of their choice. The Youth Scholarship Award recipient receives a $1,500 scholarship plus $1,000 for a favorite local charity. Since 1998, award sponsors have given $660,000 to local charities selected by their award recipients.
The event honors the volunteer spirit of Paul and Elaine Groth, who died in an automobile accident in 1997. The Community Foundation and The Post-Crescent have co-sponsored the awards gala since it began. A video will summarize each volunteer’s accomplishments as they are presented with their awards. The videos are created by video production students from the University of Wisconsin – Fox Valley.
Join the community in this celebration of volunteerism by registering online at CelebrateVolunteers.org by April 19. The cost is $35 per person, or $350 for a table of 10. The event is held at the Radisson Paper Valley Hotel. Registration begins at 5:15 p.m., with dinner served at 6 p.m. and the awards program at 6:45 p.m. A social time with the awards winners follows the presentation.